Friday, September 17, 2010

It the Happiest of Pink Saturdays and "Cake Balls"

Welcome to Pink Saturday!  I have a treat for you all this week!  Remember a few posts ago when I told about Bakerella and her fabulous blog?  I absolutely adore her site and threatened to attempt her recipe for cake balls!  Well, I did it!  They were absolutely delicious but not nearly as pretty as I would have like.  But, that just gives me a reason to keep practicing, he, he!   Here's Bakerella's recipe for the cake balls but I will share how I did it too.

The way I figure it, you can pretty much use any combination to create these so I chose what I have on hand:  strawberry cake mix and strawberry frosting.  Of course you can start from scratch too.
 I baked the cake as usual and let it completely cool.  Then I crumbled it up and added the frosting.
Be advised that this is very messy!  I found the easiest thing to do was to just use my hands to mix it all up!  It is a super moist mixture once the frosting is incorporated.  Then roll them into balls, about the size of a quarter.


Put them on a cookie sheet and refrigerate until they are very firm.  I put them in the freezer for a while.  It is really important that they are very cold before you place them in chocolate.
I used baking wafers for the chocolate.  Simply melt them and roll your chilled cake balls, one at a time, until they are completely covered.  Place on wax paper until the chocolate hardens.

There you are!  Very, very simple yet time consuming because of the various steps and wait time.  I do apologize for the icky pictures.  For some reason I just couldn't get good pictures.
What I learned:
~Make sure your cake balls are very cold before covering them in chocolate.
~You can use any flavors you like - imagine the combinations!
~White chocolate would be good too.  You can even color it if you like.
~Use a double boiler to melt the chocolate.  It works much better than the microwave.
~Use only a little bit of melted chocolate at a time as it hardens quickly.
~Practice will make them prettier (I hope!).

I would love to hear what combinations you make up!  As a side note I have to tell you that while I was taking pictures of the process my hubby states "oh is that for your Pink Saturday?"  I actually hadn't planned on it and was just going to post this week.  But, they are pink and so I figured great idea!  How cute is that?  Hubby keeping track of my PS!

Be sure to visit Beverly to see all of the great pinks this week.

Happy PS,
Jacalyn

P.S.  I am attempting the cupcake bites this weekend!  I will update you!

21 comments:

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

Oh my goodness - aren't they the cutest things! And yummy too! I cannot wait to try them. Happy Pink Saturday!
Lisa@SuburbanRetreat

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Jacalyn Sweetie...
What a beautiful pink share. I love this recipe and I am going to give it a try.

I will have to try it out on the grandkids. I know they would love them. Much easier for them to eat with their hands. Fingerfood yea!!!!

Thank you for sharing. I'll keep you posted on how mine turn out. Have a gorgeous weekend. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Yummy! Love chocolate and this is so pretty too. The kids would love them. Thanks for sharing and Happy Pinks!

Blessings,
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Hi Jacalyn! Oh, I love the looks of these little cake balls! I'm going to have to try these!
Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

CailinMarie said...

they look yummy!!!

Linda M. said...

Happy Pink Saturday Jacalyn,

YUM! Thanks for sharing the cake balls.

Linda

viridian said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. What fun desserts. A lot of calories however!

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

OMGosh! I have never heard of cake balls, but I am definitely going to have to try them! I think this will be a new and wonderful project for the grandkids!!! Thank you so much!

HPS!
Jil
xo

Marfi-topia said...

Hello!
my daughter and I made some of these, they were decorated to look like bitty little cupcakes,so fun!
I think these are very dangerous though....I lost count on the amount I swallowed whole :(
lol

Unknown said...

G'day sweet Jacalyn ~ I can hardly wait for the kid-lings to come over & give this a try. They'll love it!

TY for your sweet visit today.
Have a beautiful week, my friend.
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Grace said...

I am on my way over!! lol Love them look so pretty. Happy Pink Saturday. Grace xoxoxo

Pam said...

They look delicious. Thanks for sharing your experiences making these cake balls. Maybe my GDs would like to make them.

Happy Pink Saturday.

Char said...

I have to admit that I would probably eat these like I do doughnut holes.....waaaaay too many and unable to control myself!!! These look so good, thankyou for the recipe. I think my grandchildren would enjoy making these with me. Happy Pink Saturday, Char

NanE said...

Hi Jacklyn, happy PINK Saturday! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I too love Bakerella's blog and have been following for some time although I have never made her cake balls. Yours look yummy! Thanks for sharing all the tips, Nan

Rebecca said...

I make these in pink to take camping-they are delicious but messy to make!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! Those look sinful and bet taste good as heck! On the way to Tennessee Claudie and I munched on the cookie dough truffles that I had made. Ever had them? wowzer! Happy belated Pink Saturday Jacalyn...xo Lynn

Miss Magpies Shoppe said...

Why, how nice! My boys would love them! Ginger

D. Jean Quarles said...

Those look so yummy! Great idea. And I imagine they tasted yummy too.

Shirl said...

Hello, I'm still making my PS visits. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment.Love your yummy pink post this week. MAking me hungry for sure.
Blessings, Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage

Lesley said...

WOW I can't believe I've never heard of cake balls before.... I feel so deprived!!! Lol

I'm definitely going to try these this week!!! Chocolate cake with vanilla frosting dipped in chocolate!! woo hooo!!!

I wonder if they will freeze well so that I can hide some from the kids and have a guilty pleasure or two or three every now and then!

Chatty Crone said...

Those pink balls look delish! Just checking in - just got in from vacation. Sandie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...