Monday, October 11, 2010

What I did this weekend!

I have a four day weekend every week from my "day" job.  I usually work 10 hour days on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  On my days "off" I clean, do laundry, hit the gym, and work on my website and eBay site.  Typically come Monday I am exhausted from having all this time "off!"  This weekend was no exception and I am t-i-r-e-d!  But as usual it was worth it.  I got to spend Sunday baking with my daughter Erin.

We started with this...


There was more but I forgot to take a picture when it was full...

Then...

again and again and again...

This is what we came up with...

Yummy Apple Muffins...

Hot apple pie... 2 - one is in the freezer for Thanksgiving if it lasts...

Apple Crisp...

and a big pot of applesauce!

I actually made a very yummy apple cake too but I forgot to get a picture of it!  That was given away and a small portion is in the freezer for the next time I need something sweet!

Phew, that was a lot of apples and a day full of baking!  But, then there was dinner to think about, so...
I made some potato soup!  It was amazingly tasty!  While in Myrtle Beach last weekend we had this awesome Baked Potato Soup.  Ironically, while looking for magazines for the plane ride home we picked up a soup one.  Guess what?  A recipe for Baked  Potato Soup very similar to what we had eaten!

I thought I would share the recipe with you since it is sooooo good but also so easy!  You could whip this up fairly quickly at the end of a long day and it is such a good "comfort" food.  I actually found this recipe (tasteofhome.com) on the Internet and it's exactly like the one I used. 

BAKED POTATO SOUP
Ingredients
  • 4 large baking potatoes (about 2-3/4 pounds)
  • 2/3 cup butter 
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper 
  • 6 cups milk 
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions 
  • 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled 
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

 
Directions

 
Bake potatoes at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until tender; cool completely (I microwaved them). Peel and cube potatoes.

 In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; whisk in sour cream. Add potatoes and green onions. Garnish with bacon and cheese. Yield: 10 servings.

My thoughts on the recipe: 
  • Next time I am going to add a tiny bit of garlic and some parsley to give it just a bit more flavor.
  • You could always throw in some extra baked potatoes next time your preparing them for a meal so you already have those handy.
  • Try bacos (sp?) instead of your own bacon to make it quicker and probably with less fat.
  • We used skim milk and "light" sour cream to reduce some of the calories.  I found that while skim milk can detract from some potato soup recipes it did not so much here because of the added sour cream.
  • While browsing through recipes I noticed that a lot of them call for adding the bacon and cheese right into the soup.  While that certainly is good, I prefer to garnish my soup with the cheese and bacon after it is done.


So yummy with a bit of crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese.

I would be thrilled to hear how you like this soup if you made it before or if you make it from this recipe.  How would you adapt it for your own taste?

Enjoy your week!

Hugs,
Jacalyn

10 comments:

Victorian1885 said...

Wow the baking all looks yummy! Thanks for the potatoe soup recipe..

Wanda

Marfi-topia said...

how fun !
and perfect for this time of year too.
i bet that apple crisp is delicious! everything looks so good, thanks for the soup
recipe:)

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

What a productive duo! Everything looks so very yummy. What a great activity to do with your daughter ~ such fun!

Suzanne said...

YUM!!!! I'm thinking potato soup and apple cake are in the air very soon. two of my favorites! I know what you mean about the "relaxing" weekend...but how special to spend it baking with your daughter. Good for you:)

Celestina Marie said...

HI Jacalyn,
WOW you and daughter Erin have been busy. Now I am hungry viewing your yummy goodies. You sure made a wonderful assortment of apple treats. Perfect for the season and planning ahead.
Love potato soup too. It is one of my favorites and thank you for sharing the recipe.

Hope you have a great day and week ahead. Thank you for stopping by. So great to see you.
Hugs,
Celestina Marie

Mary Ann said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my little blog and leaving a comment and becoming a follower. I loved your bio and I too, am a Virgo, the 9th of Sept. Now another common ingredient, one of my granddaughters is expecting triplets in Dec., identical girls and a single boy. We are beyond excited. Hubs and I had a set of identical girls so many multiples. LOL Can't wait to read more of your blog. Have a wonderful week.

Chatty Crone said...

You were one busy gal! That is a lot of baking and cooking. It all looked yummy - I could have eaten everything. Sandie

Trac~ said...

Ironically I made a huge crockpot of this exact soup this past weekend (great minds think alike) and for some reason mine is SO bland - blek! It may have had something to do with the fact that I was out of green onions and just used regular ones - Idk - but either way it didn't turn out good at all for me. :o( Thanks for sharing anyway and I'm glad yours turned out good. And the desserts you made along with the memories -are wonderful! Thanks for becoming a new follower. I am now a follower of yours as well. Have a great day! :o)

Sherri said...

mmmm, mmmmm.
loved the recipes. My family loves potatoe soup.
I've got a recipe blog that I need to get started on. May contact you about adding some of your recipes.

DollHouse said...

I went to Doll House to get my dress and they promised they would get it in. I was so upset when they didn’t come through for me so I went Sassy Boutique. They were able to get my dress within three 3 days. They had wonderful customer service and nothing was a problem for them. I really appreciated the effort they made to make my night memorable. i will never go to dollhouse again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...